« Home | VMworld 2007 in San Francisco » | Secrets of Successful Job Hopping » | Harvard Commencement Speech » | a,b,c & d and spellings of entire English Counting... » | Whoops! There Goes My Job » | Volunteers sought for Mars test - $158 per day » | About Ron Paul » | Times Surely Have Changed » | Missing dog found 430 miles from home » | China newspaper editors sacked over Tiananmen ad »

Claim of discovering the world's biggest-ever diamond.

A SOUTH African mining company yesterday claimed to have discovered the world's biggest diamond, twice the size of the current biggest known stone, the Cullinan. Brett Jolly, a spokesman for the company, Two Point Five Construction, said the rough diamond - reportedly a 7,000-carat stone about the size of a coconut - had been transported under tight security to Johannesburg and deposited in a bank vault Mr Jolly, in a local radio interview, said he was now consulting with lawyers about future steps concerning the diamond.

The Cullinan, which was discovered in South Africa more than 100 years ago, became part of Britain's Crown Jewels.

Before anything else happens, in the country's strictly controlled diamond mining industry, the stone will have to be examined by the South African Diamond Board, which registers all diamonds, to confirm its authenticity and that it was found at a licensed diamond mining site.

In the north-west of the country, where Two Point Five operates, hundreds of small diamond prospecting companies are registered. It is illegal to attempt to sell stones other than from registered sites and both the Diamond Board and the government's Ministry of Minerals and Energy have to register stones and give permission for export. It would also be subjected to the Kimberley Process, a system aimed at controlling the sale of "blood diamonds" used to finance Africa's many wars.

Tom Tweedy, a spokesman for De Beers, the world's biggest diamond company, said that if the find were genuine it would be "the stone of the century". However, he said photographs of the "diamond" show it to be light green in colour, which while possible is very rare. "I have my doubts that it is real," Mr Tweedy added. Various diamond industry spokesmen said that while the precise site of the find had yet to be revealed, it was standard practice not to do so with a potentially very valuable diamond for security reasons.

It is also common for the owner of a big find to keep details under wraps initially for the purposes of increasing buyer interest. "If it is what it is, it's very, very rare," said Les Milner, a gem scientist with the Jewellery Council Laboratories, the umbrella organisation of South Africa's precious stones trade. "I tend to be very sceptical about this kind of thing."

But Mr Milner added that photographs show it has the typical octahedral shape of a diamond.

Now the topic of biggest diamonds has come up, so, let us see some other biggest ones. Following are some well known names of biggest diamonds.
  • KOH-I-NOOR
  • Cullinan I
  • The Excelsior
  • Orloff
  • The Great Mogul
  • The Idols Eye
  • Sefadu
  • The Centenary
  • The Premier Rose
  • The Regent
  • The Blue Hope
  • The Sancy
  • The Taylor-Burton
Diamonds are indeed out of reach for a common man as most of us think. Infact some diamonds are out of reach for all and are literally out of this world. Lucy, a 3000KM wide diamond is 500 trillion kilometres away from the Earth was unveiled in 2004.

Source: Scotsman.com News

It's not my first time to visit this web page, i am browsing this website dailly and obtain good facts from here everyday.

Also visit my web site; vietnam culture

I'm really enjoying the design and layout of your website. It's a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often.
Did you hire out a designer to create your theme? Fantastic work!


My webpage :: vietnam travel

Hi everyone, it's my first pay a visit at this web site, and article is genuinely fruitful in support of me, keep up posting these types of articles.

my web-site :: http://actingalert.com/index.php?do=/profile-55340/info

of course like your web site however you have to test the
spelling on several of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling
problems and I find it very bothersome to inform the truth however I will
surely come back again.

My blog post tour vietnam

Generally I don't learn article on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very compelled me to try and do it! Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thank you, very nice article.

Feel free to visit my website ... sexybang.co.uk

When I originally commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each
time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment.
Is there any way you can remove people from
that service? Thank you!

My web site; Vietnam Tours

Post a Comment
Thanks For Showing Interest In My Posts

Powered by Rollyo
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
blog search directory
Directory of Politics Blogs
Free Blog Traffic @ Blog Annoucne
Politics Blogs - Blog Top Sites
British Blog Directory.
Find Blogs in the Blog Directory
Submit your website to 20 Search Engines - FREE with ineedhits!